Museums by Lake Neusiedl
History and culture in the Burgenland
More than 75 museums and various collections and permanent exhibitions around Lake Neusiedl are just waiting to be explored on your holiday!
Burgenland is located at the interface between various people and cultures. The museums of Lake Neusiedl offer interesting insights into archaeology, ethnography, natural history and modern art.
Museums by Lake Neusiedl – an overview
The offer ranges from state museums to private collections and small village or open-air museums such as the local history museum in Moerbisch or the village museum in Moenchhof with its special craft days. For more information, see http://www.dorfmuseum.at. The fact that many of the museums are located in historic buildings such as castles and fortresses makes the experience particularly charming. In this way, you can combine a castle tour with a museum visit.
For an overview of the wide range of museums on offer by Lake Neusiedl, see the website of the Burgenland area: http://www.kulturburgenland.at
Selected museums around Lake Neusiedl
Eisenstadt, the capital of the Burgenland, is not far from the holiday town of Moerbisch. Several museums are worth a visit here:
- Burgenland state gallery: 5 to 6 changing exhibitions each year covering all areas of the contemporary visual arts.
- Burgenland state museum: the archaeology, ethnography and natural history of the Burgenland over 3 floors.
- Wine museum in Esterházy Castle in the 330 year old castle wine cellar. Particularly worth seeing are the 'Fuerstenfaesser' with images of the titular saints of the Count’s family.
- Haydn museum at Haydn’s home in Eisenstadt.
Two museums in Burgen are also recommended for a visit by employees of the 'Das Schmidt' hotel:
- Forchtenstein Castle museum: this impregnable castle houses the treasures of the Esterházy family.
- Schlaining castle – Schlaining town: this imposing fortified castle is home to the European Museum of Peace. The topics of war and peace are explored as part of a lively exhibition.
Music enthusiasts are recommended to visit the Franz Liszt Museum in Raiding. The museum is based in the birthplace of the composer who was born in 1811.
Explore the sights and museums of Lake Neusiedl and enjoy being pampered at the independent 'Das Schmidt' hotel in Moerbisch: send us a non-binding holiday enquiry now.